Search engine optimisation success is one thing that every online business is gunning for today. With the e-marketplace becoming competitive than ever before, optimisers are leaving no stone unturned in impressing search engines like Google. However, many a times, we tend to ignore basics that might cost us dearly in the long run.
Here’s an insight into some of the most crucial, primary aspects of the design of a website that should never be neglected.
- The architecture of your site should be clear and concise. The text links should be well-organised and easily discernible. Each page of your site should be reachable from at least one static text link, or else, there is not a very great possibility of such a page being crawled.
- The Sitemap page should summarise the entire website and point to its most important pages. In case, you have more than 100 links on the sitemap page, consider breaking it into separate pages.
- Keep your most important keywords in mind when writing the content for your site. Do not stray from relevancy in order to include certain words or phrases.
- The content of your site should make it look useful and information-rich. It is imperative that you pack in essential information using simple language that is easily comprehensible and capable of retaining the attention of your users.
- The HTML of your website should be correct, free of broken links or other such errors. Broken links are a big put off for your site’s surfers; do away with them as soon as you identify them. The <title> elements should be accurate and as descriptive of your products or services as possible.
- Avoid using images to display text as search engine crawlers find it difficult to crawl text hidden in images. Important names, headings or links, etc. should be displayed in text form itself. If at all you need to use images at certain places, make sure you have the ‘ALT’ tag in place.
- The number of links on a web page should not be in excess. As per search engine optimisation experts, it is highly advisable not to have more than 100 links on any given page of your site.
By following these simple guidelines, you can make your website search-engine friendly and help the crawlers reach every corner of your site effortlessly.