Online popularity is a vital part of SEO. Links from other websites to your website inform Google that your site is popular and should therefore be higher in the search results. However, that doesn’t mean the more links the better! Some links are more powerful than others, the strength of the link will depend on a number of factors. The best links will be:
- Sites with a high page rank
- Sites that are relevant to your website
- Number of links that the website has from the page that links to you – if there are a lot of links from that page it decreases the value of the link
- Links from a range a range of different resources; blogs, forums, articles, online press releases, authority sites etc
- Are links no-follow or do follow links – no follow links hold no importance
There are also many different types of links including paid links, free links and reciprocal links. Free links are the best ones as paid links are only valuable while you are paying for their use and once you stop paying you will lose your rankings. Some reciprocal links can be beneficial but too many can compromise the value of your website.